One of the iPhone’s most revolutionary features is its large library of instantly accessible free games.
The question is whether any are worth your time. To find out, I thought I’d put the App Store to the test by downloading the top 10 free titles from the “All Games“ category (based on number of recent downloads as of July 17, 2009), and playing each one for as long as it held my attention. The only caveat was a 15-minute time limit for each game. If a free game holds your attention for at least 15 minutes, that’s good.



1. “Wooden Labyrinth 3D Lite”
I had a love/hate relationship with my old tabletop Labyrinth game as a kid. I loved the concept, but I hated how much I sucked at manipulating those little knobs to guide the ball past the holes. The iPhone version, with its simple tilt controls, makes things more enjoyable. I’m surprised how accurate and realistic the physics are, and I love the way the 3-D perspective shifts as you tilt the unit, making the screen feel like a window into an alternate world. The randomly generated levels in this “lite” version are hit-or-miss, but the variable difficulty ensures lot of replay value.

0 comments

Post a Comment